Our first church covenant:
'On Saturday before the third Lord's Day in January, 1866, a number of persons met by previous appointment at the place theretofore commonly known as Old Salem Meeting House, near Cork, Hillsborough County, Florida, for the purpose of constituting a Baptist Church. After religious services suitable to the occasion, they agreed upon and signed the following church covenant:
''As we trust we have been brought by Divine Grace to embrace the Lord Jesus Christ and, by the influence of His Spirit, to give ourselves up to Him, so we do solemnly covenant with eachother as God will enable us, that we will walk together in brotherly love, that we will exercise Christian care and watchfulness over each other and faithfully warn, rebuke and admonish one another as the case should require; that we will not forsake the assembling of ourselves together, nor omit the great duty of prayer, both for ourselves and for others.
We will endeavor with tenderness and sympathy to bear each other's burdens and sorrows; that we will seek Divine aid to enable us to walk circumspectly and watchfully in the word, denying ungodliness and every worldly lust; that we strive together for the support of a faithful evangelistic ministry among us, through life in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation, and strive to live to the glory of Him who has called us out of darkness into His marvelous light.''
(SIGNED) S.B. Todd, Wm. Platt, Jon Lanier, Thomas W. Wilder, James Laneir, Hardy Collins, Isaac M. Lanier, Sarah Wilder, Margaret B. Lanier, Mary Nobles, Matilda Platt, Sarah J. Platt, Evilina M. Lanier, A.G. Todd, Marha Todd, Margaret A. Todd, Sarah G. Wilder, Marth L. Lanier.
By vote of the members it was ordered that the new church thus constituted shall be known by the name of Shilo.' (Taken from 'From Shilo to the Promise Land' written by H. Merle Henry. For the complete text, please inquire in the library.)